Saturday, June 2, 2007

Rhubarb Quick Bread

Last weekend, Laurie brought some delicious rhubarb bread to the Smith family gathering. I found a recipe on the internet and taking some rhubarb from mom's garden made some bread. It was really delicious, so thought I'd share....

Rhubarb Quick Bread

Ingredients:
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup white sugar
2/3 cup oil
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups diced rhubarb
1/2 cup chopped nuts ( I left these out)
1/2 cup brown sugar mixed with 1 T. margarine for glaze

Grease and flour 2 loaf pans. Mix together in this order: brown sugar, white sugar, oil, egg, buttermilk, salt, soda, cinnamon, vanilla and flour. Mix in 1 1/2 cups rhubarb and chopped nuts. Pour into prepared pans. Top with brown sugar mixed with margarine. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! That reminds me that I haven't sent you mine yet. I have some rhubarb in the fridge I need to use up so maybe I'll try your recipe instead. Did you get lots of rain last night? We got two inches, but in Cyrus, they got an additional 2 this morning for a total of 4, wow! I'd say last year's drought is over.
Laurie

jen said...

We've had plenty of rain. The carnival is in town and the weather has not been very cooperative! The girls have been helping us paint, clean and organize,which is nice.
Take care and tell Dan 'hi,'

Jen