Thursday, July 8, 2010

Relay for Life

Courtney and I with our t-shirts
The Runners:)

Tonight was the Relay for Life in Roberts County. Our friends helped organize a 5K and 2K run for the event. I was one of seven runners that participated in the 5K. Courtney ran the 2K, while Eric and Kelsey were our cheerleaders! It is a great event and I know many counties participate throughout the summer to raise money for the American Cancer Society. It really made me pause and think about all of the people I know and have known that continue to battle or have lost their lives to cancer. The luminaries are a powerful testimony to the many people affected by cancer.


Although I didn't run very fast, I did complete the race-which was an awesome feeling! I hope I can improve my time next Friday at the Race Days 5K in Jackson!





Have a good weekend everyone:)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How many miles is 5K?

jen said...

It's 3.2 miles. Courtney ran the 2K which is approximately 1.25 miles.

Emmy Cat said...

Wow, that's a long distance. Congratulations Jen & Courtney. I don't think I could walk that far.

Anonymous said...

Am very proud of you. Great pictures.

Anonymous said...

Sam wants to know if there's a kid race in Jackson and if Courtney is going to run it. He wants to run in a real race too!

jen said...

Hi Shelly-
They are having a 5K roadrace and adult triathalon on Friday night for adults. There is also a kids' triathalon Saturday morning at 8:30-for more information go to triforhealth.com Courtney was not planning on participating because we didn't want to have to haul her bike down. She may change her mind if Sam does it? I guess all of the kids that participate are in the parade as well, which would be fun!! Let me know what you think!